Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boredom...

Do you remember what that is? Boredom? I don't ever have time to be bored! But, it seems that my children (mainly the 8 year old) is bored! He has watched enough TV, played enough playstation and computer games, ridden his bike, jumped on the trampoline and he just can't find anything else to do. He has more things to play with than I ever dreamed about having, toys on top of toys, some that he hasn't played with in so long, he's probably forgotten he has them. Right now, it's summer vacation and he doesn't enough things to keep him busy and occupy his time. When this happens, he results to picking on his little sister! I remember the days of summer vacation boredom, but it seems like I remember using my imagination more than children today do. It's not just my children, it seems like all children are never satisfied, they want someone to entertain them. They don't want to entertain themselves, build something, draw something, use the brain that God gave them. They want us to do it for them. I think that wanting and so called "boredom" is good for them. Maybe it will build character. The good Lord knows that I 'wanted' enough in my lifetime, but I think it has prepared me and shaped me into a better person. (Maybe not having much when I was young prepared me to be a PW! HA! - Just kidding!)

So, if any of you have some good suggestions on something the children can do (without the help of an adult) to keep them from dying of boredom, let me hear 'em! With me at work all day I can't help them, it has to be something they can do on their own, mostly Matthew because Lily is still young and she isn't as hard to please. (Otherwise my husband a.k.a. "the preacher" is going to go bananas!)LOL

....."We're bored!!!"

2 comments:

Merrie said...

I'm laughing because I remember all too well those days.
When my kids came to me and said they were bored, I've give them a JOB to do... like sweep or vacuum or dust or clean their room, fold clothes, wash dishes... etc...
They hated that, but it stopped them from telling me they were bored because I'd GIVE them something to do.

We gave them a base allowance of $1 a week... then we had a list of chores they could do with amounts next to them... like, unload dishwasher = 10 cents
(of course the cost of labor has gone up much since then - lol)
So, that when they wanted something new - or to go someplace, I'd ask if they had $$ for it. If not, they would get real busy doing chores to earn $$ to get/do what they wanted.
It worked well - helped me out greatly and also helped them to learn to earn and work and not be bored and the value of stuff...
I'm sure that's way tmi!

Unknown said...

No, not TMI at all! Good advice! LOL Did you read my update blog post?