
This is just a picture from Easter morning. I thought they looked so good, but I'm a little biased! LOL
Update on Josiah (the little boy with the brain tumor) Our prayers are needed!:
From Jason: Resurrection Sunday was never so special as it was this past weekend. Josiah Lee was present in the Sunday morning service at North Valley where we were reminded of the resurrecting power of our Saviour. I love how James says, "The prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up." That's the power of the resurrection that I want to know (Philippians 3:10). After service we had our annual Easter egg hunt in our backyard for the boys. It pained me to see Josiah try to run only to stop after a few wobbly strides and say, "Daddy, I just give up." Our little linebacker seems more like "tiny Tim" these days, but we are ever so grateful for each moment that we can enjoy with him.
This afternoon we received a phone call from the chief neurosurgeon at St. Lukes. He informed us that the neuropathologists at Johns Hopkins believe Josiah's tumor to be a glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) not a central neuroblastoma (PNET). A glioblastoma multiforme is very cancerous and malignant. In fact, it is a grade 4 tumor, the highest grade of glial tumors that exist. The PNETs do not respond well to chemotherapy and radiation, but the response of the GBMs is even worse. GBMs are much more aggressive than PNETs, and almost impossible to treat surgically because the glial cells are hard to differentiate from brain tissue. Whereas some get cured and some survive treatment with PNETs, the glioblastoma multiforme is "essentially not curable under the best of circumstances" (direct quotes from the neurosurgeon).
The neuropathologists at Johns Hopkins explained that under the microscope PNETs are "small blue celled tumors." Sometimes a GBM can show some of the same characteristics of a PNET and appear to be a "small blue celled tumor." This was their explanation as to why they believe St. Lukes was wrong in their diagnosis. It would be one thing if Johns Hopkins had differentiated in the grade of the tumor. However, they changed the kind of tumor which is a major shift in diagnosis and will greatly affect the plan for treatment. Because this is such a radical change from the path report issued by St. Lukes, they are getting a second opinion from Duke University.
When I asked the doctor, "Why Duke University?" he informed me that there are three major icons in neuropathology in the nation: Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic and Duke University. The pathologist in Boise who diagnosed Josiah's tumor as a PNET worked for the Mayo Clinic and is considered to be one of the top ten pathologists in the country. They figured to look to Duke University for a second opinion to confirm who is right in what the neurosurgeon called "a developing controversy."
Because patients with glioblastoma multiforme tumors do not typically live beyond a year, the doctors are anxious to get two plans in place that will depend on the path report from Duke. Tomorrow at 2:00 PM, Suzie and I will meet with the chief neurosurgeon and the head oncologist at St. Lukes to discuss what our two separate courses of action should be. I did not believe that it was possible to hear news any worse than what we had already heard. I had hoped for a good report that said Josiah's tumor was not as malignant as they originally thought. The worst case scenario that I had imagined was a report that simply confirmed the findings of the original pathology report. Who would have thought that I would now be hoping that my son has a PNET?
Time is of the essence, and prayer is most imperative. As I venture farther into the garden with my Saviour, I feel the greatest urgency to "watch and pray."
"And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." Mark 9:24
No comments:
Post a Comment